Capturing Fashion in the 20th Century with Frieda Dauphin-Verhees' Study Collection
Frieda Dauphin-Verhees is a Belgian costume designer who collected clothing and accessories throughout her entire life. Frieda partially donated her archive to the Antwerp Fashion Museum - MoMu so it can continue to inspire and educate people as a hands-on collection. The Capturing Fashion in the 20th Century with Frieda Dauphin-Verhees' Study Collection project was one of the winners of the first Europeana’s match funding call and developed an educational tool consisting of the following components:
- A physical archive. Frieda’s collection is properly stored in preservation-friendly boxes containing complete silhouettes (main garments, underclothing, accessories, shoes) documenting 20th-century fashion organised by time period. These boxes can be consulted in MoMu’s library by individuals and groups (secondary schools will be the main target). MoMu will also facilitate the use of these boxes by secondary schools within the MoMu library for training, workshops, etc. MoMu will also start an educational programme based on this collection.
- Every artefact in these boxes is described according to the Europeana Data Model, and will be shared on Europeana Collections.
- MoMu has built a website in the open source CMS Omeka-S, in which more information on the project can be found and the collection can be consulted in a database.
- Every artefact is digitally photographed by a professional photographer, coupled with the record in the online database, and made accessible under a CC BY-SA licence. These photos were also donated to Wikimedia Commons;
- An educational video was made based on the content created for this project. In this video, Frieda Dauphin-Verhees tells the fascinating story behind the objects from her collection. The video is organised chronologically and offers context for the physical collection that is available for consultation. But it can also be viewed as a stand-alone documentary on fashion in the 20th century. The video is shared through MoMu’s Vimeo/youtube account, under an open licence.
STUDY COLLECTION | Capturing Fashion in the 20th Century with Frieda Dauphin-Verhees' Study Collection from MoMu Fashion Museum Antwerp on Vimeo.