Rise of Literacy
The project Rise of literacy will look at the use of written text in Europe over centuries (from the sixth to the twentieth century) and tell users the story of the rise of literacy in European culture, as a manifestation of a European-wide cultural movement.
Writing as a cultural practice is used to record history, to maintain culture and to disseminate information and knowledge. It has made it possible for people not only to understand the world around them but also to develop personal and national identity and culture. The project will focus on literature, manuscripts and newspapers. It will result in one or more thematic collections on the Europeana Platform from mid-2018.
The project will select, digitise and ingest new content such as manuscripts, literature and newspapers to Europeana as well as curate browse entry points and exhibitions showcasing cultural treasures relating to the theme.
The project consortium consists of the following partners:
- Narodna in univerzitetna knjižnica (project coordinator)
- Stichting Europeana
- Ethniki Bibliothiki Ellados
- Koninklijke Bibliotheek
- Narodna biblioteka Srbije -ustanova kulture od nacionalnog značaja
- Bibliothèque nationale de France
- National Library of Scotland
- Latvijas Nacionālā bibliotēka
- Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal
- Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin -Preußischer Kulturbesitz
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche - Opera del Vocabolario Italiano
- Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico delle biblioteche italiane e per le informazioni bibliografiche
- Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru / The National Library of Wales
Co-financed by the Connecting Europe Facility of the European Union.