Eurpeana Inside supported the Digital Agenda for Europe by achieving a lasting transformation in the quantity, scope and usability of the content available to Europeana from European cultural institutions.
Within this overall ambition, the main objectives of Europeana Inside are:
- To open up a significant critical-mass of new digital cultural content from European cultural institutions for delivery through Europeana,
- To simplify significantly the process of contributing content to Europeana for cultural institutions and aggregators of all scales and types throughout Europe,
- To help cultural institutions and aggregators overcome the organisational, technical, legal and financial barriers to participation by part-automating the workflow by which content is made available to Europeana, and creating tools for the management of permissions and licensing,
- To build on the framework of standards and protocols established under previous Europeana projects by ensuring that current and future generations of Collections and Digital Asset Management Software are ‘Europeana-ready'.
- To support metadata enrichment in Content Provider systems (and thereby deliver value to participating organisations and their users) by creating a channel for enhanced content to flow back from Europeana as the central domain aggregator and point of access to local systems.
Europeana Inside contributed to a specific content increase in Europeana of more than 960,000 new records from 15 cultural institutions and 5 national and thematic aggregators in the EU. It also opened up the potential for more than 7000 other cultural institutions (the installed user-base of the participating Technical Partners) to deliver content to Europeana simply and easily in the future – a potential contribution of more than 30 million new records.