CARARE (Connecting Archaeology and Architecture in Europe) aims to advance professional practice and foster appreciation of the digital archaeological and architectural heritage through the promotion for the public benefit of digitisation, connection, enhancement, and use of digital content nationally and internationally.
CARARE is an accredited aggregator for Europeana, active since 2010. It serves ca. 200 institutions contributing content. In 2018 it has published 1.9 million+ records in Europeana.
In addition to data publication CARARE also advises its providers on:
- Metadata standards, schemas, and data quality including data analysis, metadata mapping, conversion to CARARE and EDM formats, metadata enrichment, geographic data (place name gazetteers, coordinates, conversion of national coordinates to WGS 84 for Europeana, historical placenames), subject indexing (use of controlled vocabularies), temporal data (archaeological periods, date formats), Linked Data and Linked Open Data, Copyright and associated rights, Access rights and permissions, language identification, metadata validation, metadata enrichment.
- the Europeana Publishing Framework.
- Systems including digital libraries, configuring metadata exports, OAI-PMH, Omeka-XML.
- Content including digitisation, 3D capture, 3D processing, publication and the criteria for content so it can be used in the education, tourism, research, and the creative industry sector.
- Open access + FAIR principles
- Public participation in the creation, use and understanding of digital archaeological and architectural heritage content
Technical conditions for working with CARARE:
- Metadata must be available in XML for upload or for remote harvesting via OAI-PMH
- Metadata exported in native format must be mapped to one of the supported standard data formats: CARARE (all schema versions), LIDO, EDM.
- Direct metadata harvesting of data formatted in CARARE (all schema versions), LIDO, EDM, ESE, Omeka-XML, and DC.
- Digital media (images, text, video, sound, and 3D) must be published online and made available either via a direct link (text, images) or in an oEmbed player (sound, video), in the Sketchfab player (3D) or as 3D PDF
- The rights to the content must be cleared and all content clearly labeled.
- Geographic coordinates must be converted to the WGS84 coordinate system (support is available for conversion)
Limitations: By subject domain
Financial conditions: Annual fee for membership of the CARARE association