Kulturpool.at is the national cross domain aggregator for Europeana and as such makes an important contribution to promote the digital Austrian cultural heritage on the European level. Kulturpool.at was established in 2008 and is funded by the Arts and Culture Division of the Federal Chancellery of Austria and the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research.
Kulturpool.at has the aim to
- Provide a broad and free access to culture and knowledge to all citizens through an overarching search functionality of all participating institutions
- Offer an inter- and transdisciplinary access to cultural heritage in Austria for scientific research
- Encourage a closer relation of culture and education
For Europeana, Kulturpool.at currently gives access to more than 230.000 digital objects from 12 institutions and constantly updates and increases its provided content. The participating data providers benefit from the use of a future-oriented infrastructure for data transmission with a sustainable partner as part of an international aggregation landscape.
In addition to that Kulturpool.at offers:
- Advice on technical prerequisites and on content embedding
- Kulturpool.at metadata specification
- Mapping, data transformation and publication
- Advice on data quality and enrichment according to the Europeana Publishing Framework
- A temporary repository for provider's data (if required)
- National Workshops in cooperation with Europeana
- Representation of the participating institutions through the collaboration with Europeana in forums, projects and meetings
- Advice on opportunities and challenges in opening up collections in an online format
- User Engagement through the creation and publication of Smartworks (for use in the educational sector) SmartWorks.
- Promotion of new institutions, collections and objects through editorial contributions on the portal
- Lectures at national/regional conferences and
- Lectures at the national elearning-conference hosted by the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research
Technical conditions for working with Kulturpool.at:
- Depending on the instistitutions' capabilities: supported formats for the data export are: XML, OAI-PMH, csv, Excel etc. Access is possible via: HTTP, FTP, Mail.
- Kulturpool.at also offers the possibility of providing a repository.
Financial conditions: None
Kulturpool.at is developed and operated by uma information technology GmbH for the Arts and Culture Division of the Federal Chancellery of Austria and the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research.