Europeana XX: Subtitle-a-thon Challenge Warsaw
The National Film Archive - Audiovisual Institute (FINA) and The European Union National Institutes for Culture (EUNIC) Cluster Warsaw invite you to the first of four subtitle-a-thons focused on audiovisual heritage.
The kick-off of the subtitle-a-thon takes place on Saturday, June 12th at 11.00 CET with a two hour introductory session, and will run online for seven days with a closing session on Friday, June 18th at 17.00 CET.
Participants will be subtitling short audiovisual clips coming from FINA’s archival collection, as well as from other, leading European audiovisual archives, whose content is available on Europeana.eu. They will be invited to:
- Create subtitles to a variety of short audiovisual clips, like the Polish cartoons or Italian newsreels.
- Test a new tool and language skills in a friendly and fun environment.
- Join a community of ‘citizen linguists’ and audiovisual heritage fans.
- Win a prize (Empik gift cards) for becoming the best Europeana XX subtitler!
The winners of the Europeana XX Subtitle-a-thon Challenge Warsaw will receive online gift prizes and all entrants will receive a participation certificate.
The event targets translation enthusiasts, language teachers, linguists and advanced language students (C1 and above) that are eager to immerse themselves in the wealth of European audiovisual heritage to make it broadly understood by enriching it with subtitles.
About the organisers
Europeana XX. A Century of Change is a project, co-financed by the Connecting Europe Facility Programme of the European Union.
The Europeana XX Subtitle-a-thon Challenge Warsaw is a collaboration between the project, hosted by one of the project partners - the National Film Archive - Audiovisual Institute, supported by EUNIC Warsaw cluster members:
1. Austrian Cultural Forum
2. British Council
3. Camões Institute
4. Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
5. Institut français de Pologne
6. Instituto Cervantes
7. Romanian Cultural Institute