OpenUp! is a growing network of European institutions from the natural history domain, providing multimedia objects to Europeana since 2012. This includes digitized specimens, natural history artwork, animal sounds, and videos. 12 European countries take part in the OpenUp! Network so far and contribute more than 8.7 million records (spring 2019). In addition to providing data to Europeana, OpenUp! also operates an information portal at open-up.eu.
Besides data publication OpenUp! offers:
- Scientific, technical and data presentation related advice,
- Advice on data quality and rights statements, on data presentation and linkage, as well as cultural heritage relevance,
- Advice on metadata storage, data transformation, data enrichment, data testing,
- Automated update services,
- Data enrichment at the source with geolocation link information, addition of vernacular names and biodiversity literature linkage, others in prep.
- Publication through the OpenUp! portal with direct links to Europeana's OpenUp! content,
- Training materials downloadable via the OpenUp! homepage,
- Training workshops.
Technical conditions for working with OpenUp!:
- Biodiversity data formats (DwC-A, ABCD(EFG)) and museum data formats (LIDO); other data formats possible upon request
Limitations: Providers have to sign the OpenUp! Service Level Agreement.
Financial conditions: None