Position type: Full time
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands
We are looking for a Platform Engineer who will:
- Share our passion for making culture available for all with open source and open data
- Ensure that Europeana platforms can operate in high-performing and resilient environments
- Design and architect core platform components, and advise on the best way to use these platforms
- Have strong hands on technical responsibility for the build and support of key systems, working closely with our Systems Administrator
- Manage and support the production cloud environment for Europeana websites, APIs and supporting services to meet high availability, performance and security targets.
- Manage and support a full stack failover environment to support uninterrupted visitor use of front-end services.
- Manage indexing (Solr) and storage (Mongo, Postgres) systems for all production applications, including coordination of reindexing.
- Manage technology resilience practices for the organisation, including product disaster recovery plans, platform testing, incident management, and related reporting.
- Manage deployment practices for production cloud applications.
- Provide platform and architecture advice across the business, including to developers and business managers
- Produce management reports for availability, performance and security targets
- Maintain roadmap plans for all platform components owned by the role
The Platform Engineer will provide occasional assistance and cover for the Systems Administrator. Actual responsibilities during periods of support will depend on the capabilities of the Platform Engineer, but may include:
- Manage servers
- Network administration, including DNS, firewall, and VPN
- Maintain supporting tools and services for the Europeana Platform, including centralised logging and APM infrastructure
- Maintain the usage of monitoring tools, including Nagios, Grafana, and Pingdom
- Maintain CD/CI infrastructure, including Jenkins, SonarQube, and Artifactory
- Maintain and test backup and data restoration processes
- Response to security incidents
Knowledge and Experience:
- Significant understanding and knowledge of platform management, systems administration, database and server-side programming concepts
- Installation, configuration and systems administration experience with Kubernetes, Apache Solr, MongoDB, and Postgres
- Experience with the management of high performing and resilient platforms for websites and APIs
- Experience in a business environment where you have to provide advice, produce reports, and co-ordinate plans with colleagues
- It would be an advantage to also have installation, configuration and systems administration experience with Linux, Cloud Foundry, Apache Cassandra, OpenStack, Jenkins, ELK, OAuth/OpenID, LDAP, Node.js, Ansible and MySQL.
Salary and benefits:
- Your monthly salary is estimated between EUR 4,000 - 4,500 (based on full-time employment), negotiable depending on the level of your experience.
- Additionally, you will receive a (pro-rated) holiday allowance of 8% and an annual (year-end, pro-rated) bonus of 8.33%.
- 1 year fixed term contract with possibility of extension depending on funding availability.
- We offer 42.25 days holiday per year (based on full-time employment).
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your Curriculum Vitae plus motivation letter, both in English, to firstname.lastname@example.org before 31 December 2019.
Please note that:
- you must have a valid work permit to work in the Netherlands
- recruitment agency calls are not appreciated