Eurpeana Inside supported the Digital Agenda for Europe by achieving a lasting transformation in the quantity, scope and usability of the content available to Europeana from European cultural institutions by reducing or removing the operational, legal, technical and financial barriers to participation.
Within this overall ambition, the main objectives of Europeana Inside are:
- To open up a significant critical-mass of new digital cultural content from European cultural institutions for delivery through Europeana,
- To simplify significantly the process of contributing content to Europeana for cultural institutions and aggregators of all scales and types throughout Europe,
- To help cultural institutions and aggregators overcome the organisational, technical, legal and financial barriers to participation by part-automating the workflow by which content is made available to Europeana, and creating tools for the management of permissions and licensing,
- To build on the framework of standards and protocols established under previous Europeana projects by ensuring that current and future generations of Collections and Digital Asset Management Software are ‘Europeana-ready'.
- To support metadata enrichment in Content Provider systems (and thereby deliver value to participating organisations and their users) by creating a channel for enhanced content to flow back from Europeana as the central domain aggregator and point of access to local systems.
Europeana Inside contributed to a specific content increase in Europeana of more than 960,000 new records from 15 cultural institutions and 5 national and thematic aggregators in the EU. It also opened up the potential for more than 7000 other cultural institutions (the installed user-base of the participating Technical Partners) to deliver content to Europeana simply and easily in the future – a potential contribution of more than 30 million new records.