The consortium will provide to Europeana the most outstanding and rich materials about the history of European fashion, include more than 700.000 fashion-related digital objects, ranging from historical dresses to accessories, photographs, posters, drawing
Europeana Fashion is a best practice network co-funded under the CIP ICT-PSP programme and composed by 22 partners from 12 European countries, which represent the leading European institutions and collections in the fashion domain. The Europeana Fashion best practice network aims at:
- Aggregating and harmonizing existing digital content coming from the most important and interesting public and private European fashion collections, ingesting this fashion-related content into Europeana.
- Improving interoperability between scattered and heterogeneous collections, promoting the use of the Europeana Data Model and developing tools, such as a specialized Fashion Thesaurus, to best handle the multilingual nature of the aggregated content.
- Providing access to this digital content also through the creation of a dedicated fashion portal that will serve as a specialized access point to heterogeneous fashion collections across Europe.
- Developing tools and services for the integration of user generated content that will enrich and complement the standard metadata descriptions and will support the contextualization of the aggregated content through the connection with open content sources like Wikipedia.
- Actively engaging the European fashion community in museums, universities and in the private sector, raising awareness on best practices on digitization, IPR issues and semantic interoperability developed inside the BPN and in the Europeana family of projects.