CARARE enabled 2D and 3D content for heritage places to be brought together in Europeana, creating new functionality for users.
It was designed to involve and support Europe's network of heritage agencies and organisations, archaeological museums and research institutions and specialist digital archives in:
- Making the digital content for the archaeology and architectural heritage that they hold available through Europeana
- Aggregating content and delivering services Enabling access to 3D and Virtual Reality content through Europeana
- CARARE played an important role in ensuring that digital content for Europe's unique archaeological monuments, architecturally important buildings, historic town centres and industrial monuments of World, European and National heritage importance is interoperable with Europeana and accessible alongside items from national libraries, archives, museums and other content providers.
CARARE was funded under the European Commission's ICT Policy Support Programme and co-ordinated by Kulturarvsstyrelsen (Denmark) with MDR Partners (UK). The project consortium consisted of 29 partners from 20 countries across Europe.
CARARE AND EUROPEANA
CARARE added substantial value to Europeana and its users by:
- Promoting and enabling participation in Europeana by heritage agencies and organisations, archaeological museums and research institutions and specialist digital archives, and raising awareness of Europeana in the domain
- Establishing an aggregation service which contributes on a practical level to enabling interoperability, promoting best practices and standards to heritage organisations, taking into account the particular needs of content for archaeology and architecture
- Implementing Europeana-compatible infrastructures, standards and tools in order to make millions of digital items available for heritage places across Europe, thus contributing to the growth of Europeana
- Contributing expertise on geographic information
- Acting as a test-bed for Europeana's APIs, which are intended to make content available for other service providers to use, for example in the areas of tourism, education and humanities research
- Establishing the methodology for 3D and virtual reality content to be made accessible to Europeana's users
The results CARARE accomplished will be built on in its follow up project 3D-ICONS.
Files in: /
- 2nd CARARE Annual Report.pdf 476.73 kB 02/19/15
- CARARE Description of Work.pdf 1.48 MB 02/19/15
- CARARE Project Fact Sheet.pdf 3.17 MB 02/19/15
- Carare logo.jpg 6.77 kB 02/19/15
- D1.6 – Annual Report 2011-12.pdf 476.73 kB 02/19/15
- D3.3.1 Tested harvesting and ingestion system.pdf 481.23 kB 02/19/15
- D4.4.1 Live harvesting system for CARARE.pdf 759.6 kB 02/19/15
- D6.3 Phase 2 Project Report.pdf 707.8 kB 02/19/15
- D6.4 CARARE International conference workshop.pdf 843.67 kB 02/19/15
- D6.5 CARARE International conference workshop.pdf 3.31 MB 02/19/15
- D6.6 CARARE International Workshop (Year 3).pdf 1.59 MB 02/19/15
- D6.7 - CARARE final conference, Copenhagen, 8-9 November 2012.pdf 1.6 MB 02/19/15