ASSETS - Advanced Service Search and Enhancing Technological Solutions
ASSETS is a 2-year project that aims to improve the usability of Europeana by developing, implementing and deploying software services focused on search, browsing and interfaces. All software services created by ASSETS will be available as Open Source code.
These software services include:
- Searching multimedia objects based on metadata and content similarity
- Ranking algorithms for improved result display
- Browsing multimedia objects for rapid navigation through semantic cross-links
- Interfaces especially designed for interacting with multimedia objects
- Planning long-term access to digital information
- Ingestion of metadata requiring normalisation, cleaning, knowledge extraction and mapping to a common structure
ASSETS will involve targeted user groups in the development of requirements for its services as well as the analysis, design, implementation, testing and evaluation. The work of ASSETS will be synchronised with Europeana v1.0 and EuropeanaConnect activities. ASSETS plans to make its first services available to Europeana in 2011.