The hackathons are informal workshops bringing together competent and enthusiastic software developers to build cool projects within a day or two (sketches, prototypes, even working applications).
Starting in 2011, Europeana and partner organised a series of hackathons under the Hack4Europe slogan to showcase the potential of the API usage for data providers, partners and end users. The Hack4Europe roadshows covered one-or two-day hack events in 9 European countries. 170 developers with various backgrounds (universities, creative industries, cultural institutions) created 79 prototypes.
Hack4Europe goes local
In 2013 we will act as facilitator for local hack events in Europe. We will support our partners in the following areas:
- Consultation on the hackathon concept
- Hackathon guidelines (for example, see the Hack Day manifesto)
- Attendance of Europeana representative (to be confirmed per event)
- Event promotion on Europeana social media channels
- Promotion of the hackathon outcomes on Europeana social media channels and API pages
- Access to educational resources for developing prototypes into viable commercial apps
- Support with contacts to potential investors (innovation and technical incubators, private companies, entrepreneurial non-profits, etc)
Let us know about your hackathon ideas at api(at)europeana.eu!